RE: Phetsarat font, Lao unicode

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 17:48:15 CDT

    Philippe Verdy asks,

    > What is the difference between positioning a diacritic (like a Lao vowel)
    > with a base dotted circle, and positioning the same diaciitic with another
    > base symbol like a cross (or something else like a circle, square, dotted
    > square, crossed hatch, horizontal stroke, or checkers grid)? ...

    The difference is that the font/font engine needs to anticipate
    that the combination will be desired. Please see attached graphic.
    Without positioning rules, where should COMBINING CANDRABINDU go?

    Does it make a little hat for our guy? Should it be centered, or
    cocked to one side? Should it overlay and "turn that frown
    upside down" and give him a nose to boot?

    > ... I've seen
    > various symbols used to denote the absence of a specific base letter in
    > Latin-written texts. Why would not this exist too for Lao?

    I agree that existing conventions should be supported.

    Best regards,

    James Kass

    combcand.gif