RE: Display of Mongolian in Arabic or Hebrew documents

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Wed Nov 21 2007 - 19:06:47 CST

    Quoting Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>:

    > In the case of Mongolian, the correct answer for 1 entails that,
    > when set horizontally, it will display LTR, and that's going to be
    > the default whether it's embedded in Chinese, Latin, Arabic or
    > Hebrew. If an app vendor has enough user need for other options,
    > they may support different layout options. From evidence I've seen,
    > the need for short vertical runs of Mongolian embedding in
    > horizontal text is much greater than the need for RTL Mongolian when
    > embedded in Arabic, but there certainly may be other evidence that
    > has yet to come to light.

    I would say that the default behavior should be that individual
    Mongonlian words be displayed vertically in horizontal texts, this is
    the 'normal' way to write them - it is the rendering of Monglian
    indivual words horizontally that is of itself unconventional. Whether
    these vertically displayed words go from LTR or RTL is then decided by
    the script they are embedded in. Such a convention is both very
    readable and logical.

    Regards
    John Knightley

    > Peter

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    http://www.vfemail.net