Re: Display of Mongolian in Arabic or Hebrew documents

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2007 - 19:39:41 CST

    Andrew West wrote:

    > From a font's perspective there is no difference
    > between horizontal layout and vertical (i.e. rotated horizontal)
    > layout.

    Which is what has been questioned by some people. I personally think using a 'rotated
    horizontal' layout model for scripts like Mongolian is fine: I was just explaining what I
    understand to be the (possibly impractical) option. It seems to rub some people the wrong
    way that the glyphs for a vertical script are not vertical, but perhaps they are
    encountering text in applications that fail to display the text runs rotated, and hence
    are seeing it as horizontal and blaming the font.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com