Re: Unicode 5.1, Egyptian Transliteration, and Fonts

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2007 - 04:39:52 CST

    At 10:14 +0000 2007-12-02, Charles wrote:
    >Michael Everson wrote:
    >
    > >2. U+0313 cannot be used for the Egyptological Yod because its case
    > >behaviour in Greek does not apply to Latin or Cyrillic. In Latin and
    > >Cyrillic, U+0313 sits atop both uppercase and lowercase letters. This
    > >happens in natural orthographies for minority languages.
    >
    >The same could be argued for U+0301 yet this already serves as the acute
    >accent when used with Latin script, positioned above capital letters, and as
    >the tonos or oxia accent when used with Greek script, positioned to the left
    >of capital letters. Similarly U+0300 serves both as the Latin acute accent
    >and the Greek varia accent. These combining marks also behave differently
    >when used for Vietnamese. Script/Language dependent behaviour of combining
    >accents is already a feature of Unicode, so U+0313 should be able to
    >function as both the Greek spiritus lenis and as a diacritic for composing
    >the Egyptological Yod when used with Latin script.

    You have not understood.

    u+0301 and U+0313 both sit in front of capital Greek letters and atop
    small Greek letters.

    u+0301 and U+0313 both sit atop capital and small Latin letters.

    The required behaviour is for something like U+0313 to sit in front
    of capital Latain letters and atop small Latin letters. U+0313 can't
    do that, since it already has a behaviour in Latin.

    Language-tagging for "Egyptological transliteration" is not, I think,
    an option. The proposed solution, to use U+0486, works quite well.