Re: Unicode 5.1, Egyptian Transliteration, and Fonts

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2007 - 05:08:56 CST

    Michael Everson wrote:
    > At 16:28 -0600 2007-11-30, Benjamin M Scarborough wrote:

    >> This will also require changing the script of U+0486 from 'Cyrillic' to
    >> 'Inherited.'
    >
    > Only if it matters.

    It may. OpenType rendering engines generally apply lookups to one specific
    script at a time. Having lookups involving glyphs for characters from two
    scripts could be problematic in some cases.

    In some OT shaping engines you might have to have U+0486 flagged as both
    "Cyrillic" and "Latin". Classifying it as script "Inherited" in TUS would at
    least alert people to this.

    Personally I feel combining marks which cross script boundaries are not a very
    good idea.

    - C

    [Virus scanned by DrukCom ISP Fortigate and is safe]