VS: Entering Unicode

From: Erkki I. Kolehmainen (eik@iki.fi)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2008 - 23:01:55 CST

    With the new Finnish keyboard layout you'd enter the macron using a dead
    letter key followed by e. A similar method is used for all Latin letters
    with diacritics in MES-2 (collection 284 in ISO/IEC 10646) that are in
    modern use. (Those pre-composed letters that are basic letters in Finnish,
    å, ä, and ö, all sorted after z, have also their established keys.) This way
    you don't have to remember the code positions for the pre-composed letters
    or have access to a suitable table (but you need to locate the added
    diacritics on the keyboard, ideally assisted by engravings).

    We believe that this approach would be useful in many multilingual
    environments (specifically in the European Union), and this will be one of
    the inputs to the CEN Workshop on Functional Multilingual Extensions to
    European Keyboard Layouts (WS/MEEK).

    Regards

    Erkki I. Kolehmainen, Chair - WS/MEEK
    Tilkankatu 12 A 3, FI-00300 Helsinki, Finland
    Puh. (09) 4368 2643, 0400 825 943; Tel. +358 9 4368 2643, +358 400 825 943