Re: Unicode normative value [was. Re: VS: "French+" support by Unicode]

From: JFC Morfin (jefsey@jefsey.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 23:01:57 CDT

    Dear John,
    I am afraid that we get confused here. The point is not a legal
    dispute. It is a multilinguistic and epistemologic related
    consideration. It is not that easy to grasp. I am not fully sure
    about it, but I think it is true and important to consider.

    Up to now the debate is based upon local linguistic inputs. Analysis
    shows that in fact most of the problems we face comes from:
    - multilinguistics issues, where multilinguistics, as MLTF debugs it,
    can be described as what corresponds to networked "diversity" as
    opposed to "linguistics" in the support of the "linguistic diversity".
    - the global nature of the issue where the difference between a norm
    (describing normality) and a standard (describing how to accomodate
    it) becomes a key issue. Locally norms are tuned by local standards
    so they can be confused. Universal norms are locally impacted by many
    local standard, but not globally (or not with the same hysteresis).

    Interoperability can be obtained in two ways:
    - from the share of the norm (common normality) by local standards in
    multilateral systems
    - from the internationalisation of a local standard in unilateral systems.

    The later is the IETF decentralised (RFC 3935) Copernician paradigm,
    and its applied consequences extremely well documented and applied in
    sciences, industries, and economies for two centuries, since Emmanuel
    Kant : constraint to limit the internationalisation options of a
    network (user) centric system. RFC 3935 defines it very well: the
    IETF technology is not the one which could be developped but the one
    which corresponds to its core values: English, decentralised, end to
    end, fully shared resources, etc.

    However, the former corresponds to our global world distributed and
    ontocentric paradigm, ISO, WSIS and the world shares. The center of
    the world is not the IETF but the 6.5 billions of JFCs. Awfull :-) !
    The language center of the workd is not English, but every existing
    language as compiled by David Dalby, and Debbie is now quoting as
    40.000 language entitiies. But still worse, the way human beings
    think it is as diverse as their languages.

    I agree that ISO and JTC1 thought they could "fake" their bilingual
    equal delivery mission. And people/users accepted because it did not
    seem to make a big difference except a cost and delay reduction. I
    agree that Unicode thought it would be simpler, faster and less
    expensive to improve the ISO 10646 English version (cf. RFC 3869 analysis).

    But this was a mistake and the difficulties with RFC 4646 and with
    IDNA come from there.

    The reason why TC46 deliveries are better quality. Is _not_ because
    many people there are French. It is because being French they
    _have_to_ respect the ISO process and make the French and English
    thinking and text progress together. Respecting the ISO rule by
    necesity, when the English speakers disrepect it by convenience. This
    explains why Unicode seems better to you as an English speaker,
    thinker and writter, than for me and a non-English speakers. The
    French pragmatic helped reducing the English pragmatic. The French
    semantic helped adding to the English semantic. So there is not
    eventually more metalinguistic in both languages to support
    multilinguistic needs enough.

    A natural consequence, I think, is that it is more difficult for you
    to see that the IDN architectonic is inconsistently complicated and
    that the multilngualism complexity cannot really be simplified
    without an OSI (another ISO consistent multilayer inconvenience)
    presentation layer. The same as for RFC 4646. This has eventually
    been decided at ISO/TC46 when they did not supported Debbie's
    internationalisation proposition against my acknowledgment of ISO
    3166 as a multilingual padadigm.

    I hope I was clear enough?
    jfc