Re: Unicode normative value [was. Re: VS: "French+" support by Unicode]

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@nic.fr)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 02:11:05 CDT

    On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 06:01:57AM +0200,
     JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com> wrote
     a message of 195 lines which said:

    > The center of the world is not the IETF but the 6.5 billions of
    > JFCs. [...] Respecting the ISO rule by necesity, when the English
    > speakers disrepect it by convenience. This explains why Unicode
    > seems better to you as an English speaker, thinker and writter, than
    > for me and a non-English speakers. The French pragmatic helped
    > reducing the English pragmatic. The French semantic helped adding to
    > the English semantic.

    Just for the record, there is only one JFC in France and all other
    French people involved in internationalisation use Unicode and not ISO
    10646 (one of the big reasons being that Unicode is available while
    10646 "may not be photocopied or reproduced in any form" - from the
    licencing text).