Re: Text scans needed containing slashed letters of 19/20th century Latvian and Sorbian orthography

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2008 - 02:41:12 CST

    Am Montag, 27. Oktober 2008 um 09:26 schrieb André Szabolcs Szelp:
    ASS> why not simply use
    ASS> U+0337 COMBINING SHORT SOLIDUS OVERLAY
    ASS> or
    ASS> U+0338 COMBINING LONG SOLIDUS OVERLAY
    ASS> ?
    ASS> I thought we'd encode composable characters only, if they are part of a legacy encoding?

    The slashed letters are not "composable" in the sense as an Ă© is
    composable, as I argued in length in my previous mail to the Unicode
    mailing list.
    Thus, the slashed V (U+A75E/U+A75F) has in fact been encoded as a
    letter of its own with no canonical or compatibility decomposition,
    when it was proposed as a part of a medievalist character collection
    in January 2006.

    - Karl Pentzlin