RE: Text scans needed containing slashed letters of 19/20th century Latvian and Sorbian orthography

From: Lucans, Gunars (gunars@spss.com)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2008 - 09:34:25 CST

    Hello Karl,

    You might find some Latvian examples at: http://www.ailab.lv/SENIE

    This is a project of the University of Latvia's (LU) Philology department's Baltic language section and the LU Artificial Intelligence Lab to form a corpus of early Latvian written texts.

    On page http://www.ailab.lv/SENIE/senie.jsp, you can find links to 16, 17 and 18th century texts. Some of the texts have a section "originala faksimils" that are scans of the original texts. For example:

    http://www.ailab.lv/SENIE/source.jsp?codificator=SL1789
    http://valoda.ailab.lv/korpuss/senie/faksimili/18gs/SL1789
    http://valoda.ailab.lv/korpuss/senie/faksimili/18gs/SL1789/0012a.htm

    As far as I know (I'm certainly not an expert), the slashed versions of G, K, L, N, R are precursors to the current versions of these letters with cedilla (written as under-commaaccent). The slashed S is precursor to the current S-caron.

    I also thought these were introduced around 1850, but there appear to be examples here also. If you look at the fourth line in http://valoda.ailab.lv/korpuss/senie/faksimili/18gs/SL1789/0012a.htm, you can see the slashed-n character, even though this document is from 1789. On the other hand, the 3 character cluster after it would be the equivalent of the slashed-s (currently s-cedilla).

    Hopefully this gives a bit of a clue where to find more information.

    Regards
    Gunars Lucans