Re: Proposal to change the script allocation rules for the BMP and SMP

From: Benjamin M Scarborough (benjamin.scarborough@student.utdallas.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2008 - 00:33:50 CST

    http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Википедия:Проект:Внесение_символов_алфавитов_народов_России_в_Юнико
    > leads to the impression that the existing 80 free code points
    > (according to PDAM7 as of Oct. 2008) in the Latin Extended D
    > block are not sufficient in the long term. It is suspected that these
    > are by far not the only lists of still unencoded letters.

    Actually, by my count, it's 108 free code points as of PDAM7.

    But how many of these letters actually have enough use/merit to be
    added to Unicode? Is a massive Latin Abkhazian proposal needed?

    > Moreover, other scripts like Katakana/Hiragana may require extensions.

    This is definitely true for Katakana.

    > It is desirable that such extensions could be added to the BMP to
    > have them together with the already encoded letters of the scripts.

    What's wrong with the supplementary planes? Having to use surrogate
    pairs for a character isn't the end of the world.

    And I, for one, am not against putting Latin Extended-E in the SMP.

    --Ben Scarborough