Re: Emoji: Public Review December 2008 - A Very Pretty Can of Worms Indeed

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 21 2008 - 10:24:41 CST

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Ed Trager <ed.trager@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a problem with the set because most people in the world are
> going to view the emoji set not as a "Japanese" symbol set, but rather
> as an INTERNATIONAL symbol set which ought to have some modicum of
> international coverage.

I doubt it; I expect that most of the people familiar with them are
Japanese, and those who come to them from Unicode will be savvy enough
to realize they are a Japanese symbol set. Does anyone care that the
existing circled symbols in Unicode are massively biased towards
Eastern Asia?

> If Google and Yahoo are using them, then emoji are no
> longer just a Japanese phenomenon. They are now international and
> cross-cultural in nature. That's a fact.

No; Google and Yahoo support SJIS, but that doesn't make that international.

> In a less disputational category, the NATURE category, I see there is
> MAPLE LEAF and SAKURA (with only 4 petals in two of the vendor's
> systems -- hah! what a joke!). So I want an OAK LEAF, a POINSETTIA,
> and a TULIP TREE LEAF. And since I want to be culturally inclusive, I
> want a TEAK TREE LEAF and PAPAYA LEAF too. Can I have them?

Show evidence of use.