Re: Obsolete characters

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2009 - 17:15:10 CST

    On 15 Jan 2009, at 18:12, Mark Davis wrote:

    > According to the information I have (extracting from UAX31 and UTF39
    > plus some heuristics on Unicode subheaders), the following are
    > archaic/obsolete characters (that is, not in customary modern use).

    Not in customary modern use BY WHOM? By Japanese Telcos? By the
    International Phonetic Association? By Middle English scholars? By
    Nordicists? By the New York Times?

    I am myself currently working on FOUR publication projects which use
    the Middle English Yogh which you have placed on your list. By
    "publication" I mean "books which will be for sale to the general
    public, via Amazon, with "search inside" which could be indexed by
    Google (depending on rights agreements)".

    What is the purpose of this list? Is it general interest of your own?
    Or is it going to guide people to (for instance) feel free NOT to put
    these characters into fonts?

    There are characters in that list which *are* currently in use by the
    IPA, and some which are no longer currently use by that organization's
    recommendations, but which nonetheless are commonly met with in many
    many publications, including new works written on the Wikipedia.