Re: U+3004 JAPANESE INDUSTRIAL STANDARD SYMBOL

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 22:07:02 CDT

    Asmus Freytag <asmusf at ix dot netcom dot com> wrote:

    > However, this loose talk about "glyph variants" spooks me. The
    > *identity* of a logo is in its *appearance*, not in the organization
    > it symbolizes. From a character encoding perspective, if the new logo
    > looks different, then it's not a variant glyph of the logo encoded by
    > the existing character, but a new, *unencoded* entity.

    Does Unicode now freely admit to encoding logos?

    I know, the old JIS logo was probably encoded as a compatibility
    character. The new one could not be, unless:

    (a) there is a character set somewhere that encodes the two separately,
    or
    (b) all pretenses to "compatibility" are abandoned.

    http://www.ewellic.org