Re: On adding svara marks to digits for the Rig Veda

From: Shriramana Sharma (samjnaa@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 21 2009 - 09:05:33 CDT

    I forgot to add that even in the Yajur Veda, the anudatta mark is placed
    on digits. Attached are examples from the Grantha book:

    Taittiriya Brahmanam, Heritage India Education Trust, Chennai, India, 1980.

    Page numbers are in the filename of the attachment.

    I do not have the Devanagari books on hand to provide proper photos for
    Devanagari. The texts in Devanagari corresponding to the above:

    http://sanskritweb.net/yajurveda/ta-02.pdf p 5 line 13
    http://sanskritweb.net/yajurveda/ta-09.pdf p 7 line 10

    are not rendered properly precisely because rendering engines do not
    support the addition of svara marks to digits. This edition also has
    digit 3 instead of digit 2 in the latter example. Without any Devanagari
    books on hand, I am unable to say whether this is an error.

    Shriramana Sharma.

    prop-1-anudatta-p733.jpg
    prop-2-anudatta-p877.jpg