Re: Vertical line(s) below

From: Charlie Ruland ☘ (
Date: Fri Jan 01 2010 - 13:46:31 CST

  • Next message: Charlie Ruland ☘: "Re: Vertical line(s) below"

    I’m not sure if this is really helpful, but an English Wikipedia search
    for ‘͈’ (U+0329) gets redirected to ‘Faucalized voice’, with examples
    from Korean and Dinka.

    Direct links:
    <͈> or


    Michael Everson wrote:
    > In Sinological notation, U+0329 COMBINING VERTICAL LINE BELOW seems to be used for syllabicity, as it is in IPA; either [ɹ] or [z] can be marked with it [ɹ̩] or [z̩] to show what is written in Pinyin as "er". I have here a notation for A-Hmao, however which contrasts this with U+0348 COMBINING DOUBLE VERTICAL LINE BELOW [ɹ͈] or [z͈], which as I recall was added for support of Disturbed Speech (IPA "strong articulation").
    > Does the latter have a different meaning in Sinological notation?
    > Michael Everson *

    Charlie • 查理 • चार्ली • Чарли • تشارلي
    チャーリー • 찰리 • Τσάρλι • צ׳ארלי
    oṃ āḥ hūṃ
    ॐ आः हूँ

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Fri Jan 01 2010 - 13:48:41 CST