RE: Latin-script keyboard layout (was RE: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods)

From: Marc Durdin (marc.durdin@tavultesoft.com)
Date: Sun Jan 03 2010 - 17:33:50 CST

    Phillipe, read again what I wrote: other modifiers tend to cause conflicts. The only modifiers which are likely to be safe in pretty much any application are Shift and AltGr. Shift+AltGr is usually safe but is difficult to type. Any combination that involves Ctrl or Left Alt is pretty much guaranteed to cause conflicts with applications. And of course given the model that Windows uses with the TranslateAccelerator and TranslateMessage APIs, the overriding shortcut key takes precedence over the character output -- so if you use these other modifiers, in most applications some characters will be completely inaccessible.

    Deadkeys are not 'intuitive', just familiar (kinda like QWERTY or dare I say AZERTY). They are an old compromise from typewriters. When you write diacritics with a pen, do you write them before or after the base letter? When you press a deadkey (on a Windows system), you get no visual feedback. So the naive user then presses the deadkey again. And gets *two* non-combining forms of the character. There is nothing intuitive about that.

    Deadkeys are limited: they make some sense for combining diacritics. They make no sense for any other character. But even for combining diacritics they are not great. Typing the diacritic after the letter* makes much more sense. Things are even worse for multiple combining diacritics.

    * MSKLC note: typing diacritics after a letter makes much more sense but a MSKLC keyboard cannot normalise the input order for multiple diacritics or even generate NFC output when they are typed in that order. Hence my previous comment about it being a limited solution for a pan-Latin keyboard.

    Deadkeys and modifiers are very familiar to European and Latin American users. But there are much better ways of solving this input problem. Some Keyman keyboard developers have created some fantastic keyboards that are much more 'intuitive' and allow the user to access a far greater range of characters without resorting to clumsy modifier and/or deadkey combinations. A handful of 'Latin' script examples that solve these problems in different ways:
      BU Keyboard by Albert Bickford http://keymankeyboards.com/?id=391
      Dinka by Andrew Cunningham http://keymankeyboards.com/?id=314
      SIL IPA by Martin Hosken et al http://keymankeyboards.com/?id=383

    Marc