Re: Latin-script keyboard layout (was RE: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods)

From: Gerrit Sangel (z0idberg@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Jan 06 2010 - 22:49:31 CST

    Concerning this question, I always wonder why it is necessary to add
    layer over layer over layer to these kind of keyboard layouts. Wouldn't
    it be better if latin based keyboard layouts were something similar like
    Japanese?

    Type “alpha” and get α, type “Theta” and get Θ. Type “punctuation”
    (something like the japanese “kigou”) and be able to select all
    different punctuation and stuff. Write Hangeul and get Han’gŭl, type
    Pin1yin1 and get Pīnyīn. Write Kyoto and get Kyōto. You could also add
    smart quotations directly into the input method, not just in the Word
    processor.

    I think, this system is
    a) more intuitive - everybody knows that α is pronounced/written as alpha
    b) you don't need to remember the position of different characters.
    c) you can still add much more characters than with a keyboard with 10
    layers or even more.
    d) Because the vast majority of the characters proposed for this kind of
    “super layouts” is used extremely seldom during writing one language (I
    think, it is often only for names), it does not slow down the writing
    process if you sometimes have to type e.g. an o and check the list if
    you want ö, ó, ò, ō, ǒ e.g. If you include a dictionary with popular
    names, you don't even need to do that, because Nánjīng would (i think)
    be the only possible thing to choose if you write Nanjing.

    If you want to maybe switch to a language where you need these “special”
    characters more often, just write something like

    “Currently I am writing English and now i want to write French de<PRESS
    KEY>mit vielen möglichen Umlauten en<PRESS KEY> and now I can write
    English again”

    if you do it like this, it could be extremely easy to switch even the
    keyboard layout to another language inside the writing process. Just
    type the language code, press some key (e.g. caps lock) and the layout
    is automatically switched to a language which makes the characters
    available easily there.

    Gerrit