Re: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods

From: Curtis Clark (jcclark-lists@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jan 10 2010 - 09:07:53 CST

    To be explicit, I am writing about the Korean IME that comes with
    Microsoft Windows, and that is the standard IME for Windows localized
    for Lorean.

    On 2010-01-08 10:47, verdy_p wrote:
    > So you'll type really: G, AE, U, L for the first example, and as soon as you type the second vowel (U) the empty
    > consonnant IEUNG is implied before it. Of course you may also type the IEUNG consonnant between them (because it has
    > its own key on Hangul keyboards).

    It is standard procedure to type IEUNG at the beginning of a syllable;
    this is important, because there are cases where a syllable can contain
    two vowels in succession.

    > The real complexity does not seem to be within the separation of groups of vowels (unless Hangul is also used to
    > write foreign diphtongs, without inserting any IEUNG between them), but in the separation of groups of consonnants
    > like STR when they occur between vowels: it is not clear where the syllable break occurs, even if this does not
    > change the rendering when using linear Hangul instead of presenting syllables in squares.

    In Korean (according to my colleague), a syllable can end with two
    consonants, but it can only ever begin with one. So the syllable break
    can always be predicted accurately.

    > And may be, for most of these foreign names, Koreans already know how to read Latin, and don't attempt to
    > translitterate them, so they really type "IBM" without attempting to transliterate it into non meaningful syllabic
    > clusters by adding "extra" vowels (those they use when they spell the Latin letters).

    Loan words from English are "koreanized" (much as katakana are used in
    Japanese to approximate pronunciation) and written in Hangeul. I have
    seen my colleague write latin words in hangeul text, but her
    correspondents mostly know English, so I am not sure how widespread the
    practice is. I will ask.