Re: [unicode] kJapaneseOn and kJapaneseKun Use What Romanization Standard?

From: mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Date: Mon Jan 25 2010 - 11:48:48 CST

    On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:14:29 -0800 (PST)
    Mark Crispin <mrcrispin@panda.com> wrote:
    >However, decades of this sort of silliness have made most people able to
    >cope with it. I prefer "Toukyou" to "Tookyoo" and "kirei" to "kiree" but
    >I have no problem with recognizing either form.

    "silliness" is good description. Some Japanese people
    use とおきょお, きれえ or like that to imitate a drunk,
    uneducated baby, etc etc. I don't recommend to write
    them in official documents to Japan.

    >Fortunately, it's invariably unambiguous. I follow kana when writing
    >romanized text to a native Japanese, and shift to "wa" and "e" when
    >writing romanized text to a non-Japanese.

    Interesting. Unihan.txt is a text to a native Japanese,
    or a text to a non-Japanese?

    Regards,
    mpsuzuki