Re: [unicode] kJapaneseOn and kJapaneseKun Use What Romanization Standard?

From: mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Date: Mon Jan 25 2010 - 11:40:53 CST

    On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:15:18 -0500
    Ed Trager <ed.trager@gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:33 AM, <mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp> wrote:
    >> Excuse me, could you tell me what kind of problems are
    >> caused by mixing 2 different romanization systems? I
    >> feel it uncomfortable slightly, but not so serious.
    >
    >As I am sure you know and will agree, romanization systems in general
    >lead to very ambiguous pronounciation and are clearly no substitute
    >for native writing systems that are better suited to the languages
    >they were designed for.

    There is no romanization system for Japanese to replace
    current Japanese writing system, but the ambiguity of
    the pronunciation is not the major reason for Japanese
    case, I think. Current Japanese writing system does not
    describe the pronunciation exactly.

    If people are asked to write "$BEl5~(B" (so-called "Tokyo")
    in hiragana, most people will write "$B$H$&$-$g$&(B" =
    To-U-Kyo-U. They pronunciate "TooKyoo", but they doesn't
    write "$B$H$*$-$g$*(B" nor "$B$H!<$-$g!<(B". They know the official
    spell in hiragana is not same with the most approximate
    description of the pronunciation by hiragana.

    For kJapaneseOn of "$BEl(B", what is best hiragana string
    to notice the pronunciation? "$B$H$&(B", "$B$H$*(B" or "$B$H!<(B" ?

    Regards,
    mpsuzuki