Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: Gerrit (z0idberg@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Jan 26 2010 - 23:51:50 CST

    Am 27.01.2010 13:14, schrieb Asmus Freytag:
    > Karl,
    > Thanks for the link and the font.
    >
    > Gerrit,
    >
    > Notepad (on XP) clearly shows the tz ligature
    > The ch ligature isn't as definitive, as you could
    > fake it using kerning, but the z in the tz ligature
    > does show a different tail.
    >
    > The way to get MS and others to support a
    > writing style is to create lots and lots of data
    > in it, and to get that data popular. :)
    >
    > So, the minute you have a Fraktur revival,
    > you incrementally create pressure for vendors
    > to support it. It helps if at least some browsers
    > can support what you need, so you have a way
    > to publish content.

    Well I would hardly doubt the Fraktur will get a revival. Even though
    everybody can read it (albeit slowly), in the worst case it is
    associated with Nazis, and in the best case it just looks old. So I
    highly doubt anyone will publish anything in Fraktur.
    I thought about having the German Wikipedia in Fraktur, though. I think
    that would be fun, and if you adopt the application which switches in
    the Chinese Wikipedia between traditional and simplified, it should not
    be so hard to implement. Just add some common rules, add some exceptions
    and that’s it.