Re: Emoji (was: Re: Preparing a proposal for encoding a portable interpretable object code into Unicode)

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 04:47:02 CDT

    On Wednesday 2 June 2010, Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org> wrote:

    > However, the emoji proposal became far less objectionable
    > (at least to me) when color and animation ceased to be
    > considered as defining characteristics of plain-text
    > characters, ...

    I noticed the use of colours other than black and white in several groups of emoji.

    What I find interesting is that colours other than black are often represented by line hatching of the Petra Sancta type in the example glyphs.

    Most of them seem to follow Petra Sancta style, yet a few do not.

    For example, U+1F34E RED APPLE and U+1F34F GREEN APPLE do follow Petra Sancta style.

    U+1FD47 GREEN BOOK and U+1FD48 BLUE BOOK do follow Petra Sancta.

    U+1FD49 ORANGE BOOK has an interesting example glyph.

    In http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatching_system there is a graphic of the shadings and I found that clicking on the graphic leads to a page for the graphic from where I was able to download a full resolution 908 by 509 pixels version. I then displayed the file in Microsoft Paint at 8x resolution. The hatching used in the example glyph is indeed one of the several hatchings shown for orange.

    The document does not purport that Petra Sancta hatching has been used.
    Yet if the example glyph for U+1F536 LARGE ORANGE DIAMOND is interpreted as if a Petra Sancta hatching had been used, it would be blue.

    If the example glyph for U+1F537 LARGE BLUE DIAMOND is to be interpreted as if a Petra Sancta hatching had been used, it would not be the usual hatching for blue.

    I noticed also that if the example glyph for U+1F530 JAPANESE SYMBOL FOR BEGINNER if interpreted as hatched in Petra Sancta style is yellow and green (or maybe gold and green?).

    I find the depicting of colours in monochrome using hatching artistically fascinating. Something that I try from time to time is to look at colours in the http://www.pantone.com webspace and try to design monochrome glyphs to represent various colours, both for hatching and for indicative symbols.

    I notice that U+1F3A8 ARTIST PALETTE does not use any hatching. Yes, I realize that there is no need as there is only one codepoint involving an artist palette. Yet, although no need, it would be fun!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvester_Petra_Sancta

    Here are direct download links to the emoji code charts.

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/6.0.0/charts/blocks/U1F300.pdf

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/6.0.0/charts/blocks/U1F600.pdf

    William Overington