Re: Emoji (was: Re: Preparing a proposal for encoding a portable interpretable object code into Unicode)

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 08:02:07 CDT

    William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009@btinternet.com> wrote:

    > On Wednesday 2 June 2010, Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org> wrote:
    >
    >> However, the emoji proposal became far less objectionable
    >> (at least to me) when color and animation ceased to be
    >> considered as defining characteristics of plain-text
    >> characters, ...
    >
    > I noticed the use of colours other than black and white in several
    > groups of emoji.

    There are many characters in this block whose name includes a color,
    just as we currently have WHITE and BLACK squares, arrows, etc.
    However, the representative glyphs for characters like RED APPLE and
    GREEN APPLE are no longer differentiated solely by color, as they were
    in the initial proposals. Names are just names, and glyphs are now
    monochrome (and not moving), so that satisfied me.

    --
    Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­