Re: Overloading Unicode

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 03:48:51 CDT

    On Saturday 5 June 2010, Mark E. Shoulson <mark@kli.org> wrote:

    > It isn't and should not be the Unicode Consortium's job to sort through incoming ideas and decide which ones are nifty enough to encode.

    > Unicode isn't here to make your dreams come true. It's here to encode what's there and to enable people to do what they've already been doing, not what you think it would be cool if they did.

    Well, in between the items you mention, there is the possibility of encoding what is becoming there as a result of a Public Review and research and development activity by whoever chooses to participate and enabling people to do in a standardized way what they are finding during the Public Review and research and development process that they can do.

    I am hoping to submit a document to the Unicode Technical Committee in the hope that the Unicode Technical Committee will institute a Public Review.

    I feel that the possibility of the Unicode Technical Committee instituting such a Public Review would be increased if there were support for such a Public Review to take place.

    I feel that a Public Review conducted by the Unicode Technical Committee would be a good way to decide whether to encode a portable interpretable object code into Unicode.

    William Overington