Re: Hexadecimal digits

From: James Cloos (cloos@jhcloos.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2010 - 03:56:49 CDT

    JWK> On Jun 8, 2010, at 4:20 PM, Robert Abel wrote:
    >> So I don't think that we _could do without_ those characters having
    >> different code points today. Even back then it must have seemed like
    >> a hack to type a lowercase L instead of a 1.

    JWK> It did, young feller, it did, by cracky! And, as a matter of fact,
    JWK> electric typewriters had a slightly different keyboard, one
    JWK> including proper 1, 0, and ! keys.

    Even many mechanical typewriters did.

    (My parents' typewriters were both made by the same company; hers had
    the 0 and 1 keys whereas his did not. Having found and tried out hers
    first, when I did play with his -- I was 8 or 9 at the time -- I had
    no idea how to type 0 or 1. Using Oh and el did not occur to me.)
    (His was early 1950's vintage, hers late 1950's vintage.)

    -JimC

    --
    James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6