Re: Writing a proposal for an unusual script: SignWriting

From: André Szabolcs Szelp (a.sz.szelp@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 14 2010 - 16:01:32 CDT

    On 2010.06.14., at 18:21, Stephen Slevinski wrote:

    > We've had large discussions about spelling on the SignWriting list.
    > Someone will write a sign and others will comment. People will try
    > to rewrite the sign to be easier to read. It's amazing what a
    > difference a small adjustment in symbol placement can make. A sign
    > that was difficult to read automatically becomes easy and clear.
    > The improvement in the sign was only possible because of an
    > excellent writer who understood the sign as a whole and was able to
    > build a cohesive representation. SignWriting is part artistry. Is
    > simple to start, but the best writers have an eye for symbol choice
    > and symbol position.

    Hi, Stephen,

    What you describe here sounds like this is very much a writing system
    in developement yet (even though its principles might have been laid
    long time ago).

    On the other hand, nothing you wrote in that email could convince me,
    that no basic relative positioning would be enough for encoding, and
    all those minute information of placement should be addressed at font
    designers. They are very much like ligatures in complex scripts.

    Sure, not _any_ font designer will be able to make a good font, only
    those, which are either very proficient in SignWriting or which have
    consulted many users diligently (a similar process you describe
    above). But this is true for every script: not _any_ font designer can
    create a good font for any give writing system... It need thorough and
    diligent, hard work.

    /Szabolcs