Re: Writing a proposal for an unusual script: SignWriting

From: Hans Aberg (haberg-1@telia.com)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2010 - 02:57:04 CDT

    On 15 Jun 2010, at 00:36, Stephen Slevinski wrote:

    > I believe the script is stabilized. In 2004, we were using the
    > International MovementWriting Alphabet. We learned a lot in 3 years
    > of use. In 2008, we did a major refactoring of the symbol set to
    > focus on sign language only. We've happily used the 2008 symbol set
    > for 2 years. About a month ago, we discussed several small
    > issues. We decided for one last minimal refactor before
    > standardization. That refactor has been completed as the
    > International SignWriting Alphabet 2010.
    >
    > I will be very happy if we are able to encode the symbol set in
    > Unicode. Encoding the characters needed for the script layout would
    > be nice, but one step at a time.

    You might encode the layout characters as well, if this set is stable.
    However, they should not be encoded on the Unicode abstract character
    level, and not on the binary level. The binary level one gets by
    applying UTF-8 etc onto the Unicode character numbers.

    So here, you may encode new layout characters. But if there are things
    like numbers needed for the layout description, then other Unicode
    characters must be used. Then valid SignWriting sequences will be a
    (small) computer language using Unicode characters.

       Hans