RE: Generic Base Letter

From: Vincent Setterholm (vincent@logos.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2010 - 03:31:40 CDT

    Hello, Mr. Kaplan. Good to hear from you; I've enjoyed your blog.

    I'm having a hard time parsing your email. As Khaled and I have pointed out, the problem is not one of a lack of font development as the extra dotted circles show. For the case of Hebrew, in particular, the SBL Hebrew font already has attachment points to combine the various vowels and accent marks with 25CC and it combines those marks well on a space, too (A less-desirable workaround, but one which Uniscribe and Office supported at least at one point - maybe they still do, but which never worked in WPF).

    Since I presume all that was obvious to you from reading the thread, I feel like the salient part of your post must be "when no one put in the effort for the specific case" - but I've been putting in effort for this specific case for at least 6 years, through a combination of direct emails to Microsoft employees, bug reports on Microsoft development forums, and having our application developers submit bugs through their official channels and direct conversations with Microsoft project managers at PDC. And in all fairness, some of the bugs I've reported through this barrage of techniques have been fixed - for example, with the exception of the Syriac abbreviation mark, Syriac is looking quite good in WPF 4 (many thanks!). But I've never gotten any traction on the issue at hand.

    So, are you the guy I need to be forwarding all my documentation to? Or do you know to whom at Microsoft I need to be reporting in order for this case to get a good hearing? I'm more than willing to put in all the effort you could possibly want - this is a very pressing issue for us, since we've published reams of grammatical material that now look very ugly, particularly since moving our platform to WPF.

    Thanks,
    Vincent