Re: Draft Proposal to encode the English Phonotypic Alphabet

From: Mark Davis ☕ (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2010 - 11:26:18 CDT

    A couple of very quick comments.

    > A special phenomenon of EPA is that the combination of upper and lower
    case letters is peculiar in EPA, and changes between the different EPA
    stages.
    The committee decided that any further special casing should be handled in
    CLDR, you'd want a proposal to that group. For that to be done, you'd need
    first to propose a BCP47 variant to indicate EPA English. This would all be
    done well after the encoding were accepted.

    > Thus, the preferred solution for these characters is to use variation
    sequences here.
    I don't think there is much need for this. Because the corpus is so small,
    users are likely to need special fonts anyway, and the forms are close
    enough in other fonts for legibility among users of EPA.

    > However, they are proposed as symbols (gc=So), not as digits (gc=Nl or
    gc=No), to prevent the impression that Unicode promotes any non-decimal
    number system, or that it standardizes the digits for any such system.

    They are perforce not Nd, because that is reserved for decimal. However, if
    the primary use is numbers, they should be No. (It isn't a matter of
    'promotion'.)

    Mark

    — Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —