Re: Quick survey of Apple symbol fonts (in context of the Wingding/Webding proposal)

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 18:54:05 +0100

On 15 Jul 2011, at 18:37, Doug Ewell wrote:

> Do people really need assigned characters (not just glyphs) to represent these things, instead of just talking about them? I see text all the time that refers to characters using the name of the character, or its U+ value, or some informal name or descriptive phrase like "the RTL and LTR overrides." How common is the need to have a discrete character to talk about another character?

I've been trying to represent a Duployan keyboard layout description and yes, I do need glyphs for some of these characters.

>> I do not follow the logic of this assertion. SPACE and SYMBOL FOR SPACE exist. No infinite recursion is needed.
>
> How do I talk about U+2420 SYMBOL FOR SPACE in plain text? Other than the way I just did, I mean.

How do I talk about U+0044 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER D in plain text? I use the graphic character D. It's not an invisible character.

To talk about U+2420, you use the graphic symbol U+2420 ␠. That is however not an answer to my complaint that encoding a SYMBOL FOR something otherwise invisible implies an infinite recursion of other characters.