Re: Quick survey of Apple symbol fonts (in context of the Wingding/Webding proposal)

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 18:57:33 +0100

On 15 Jul 2011, at 18:50, Erkki I Kolehmainen wrote:

> I'd assume that you could talk about it by referring to its name and/or code point. A visible symbol for it would be new and would not be recognizable as such.

In the code charts it has a glyph. Without a SYMBOL FOR character for this control character, it's not possible to represent the glyph of that character in the code charts.

You can't represent an invisible character visibly. Sure. But the glyph in the code chart is something that can be talked about. I might do it in a PUA font. But that can't be interchanged. So if I want a web page for instance to describe how invisible characters affect Devanagari character shaping, I can't do it with a graphic character. Even though the text of the standard may do so using that graphic character inline in text.