Re: Gaps in Brahmic scripts section of SMP

From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 06:54:30 +0530

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 3:56 AM, <stas624-uni_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> [Applies to: SMP Roadmap 6.0.7; http://www.unicode.org/roadmaps/smp/]
> [Mainly aimed at people who can change roadmaps]
> [I used online feedback form, but got no responce, so reposting it here.]

When you use the online feedback form your feedback will be officially
noted. You may not get a response, but it will be noted. The same does
not apply to postings on the Unicode list. (See for example I am
responding but I am not a Unicode official so there is no guarantee
that it is noted for the record.)

> There are 6 small gaps in 'Brahmic scripts' section of SMP, which are quite useless I think. They can be easily united to form 3 larger gaps, in which new scripts can fit.
> If you think it is premature because block sizes can change, I'd propose at least move Tirhuta as it'll be too late when it is allocated.

Moving Tirhuta is a good idea.

> I think those small gaps will hardly ever be filled with extensions to already encoded Brahmic scripts.

Actually the SMP Brahmic script allocations, especially for old
epigraphical scripts like Chola, Box Headed etc are highly tentative
except for Grantha which is 99.9% confirmed so it is not possible to
predict that they will *not* be used.

--
Shriramana Sharma