Re: ligature usage - WAS: How do we find out what assigned code points aren't normally used in text?

From: Stephan Stiller <sstiller_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 18:01:24 -0700

> Actually, I *was* talking about purely typographic/aesthetic
> ligatures as well. I'm aware that which di-/trigraphs need to be
> considered from a font design perspective is language-dependent.
> But the point is that I observe that:
> (a) aesthetic ligatures are not frequently seen in modern German
> print and
>

> I would assume that is because many commonly used fonts are designed
> in such a way that letter glyphs don't overlap anyway.

That's the impression I get - all {fl/fi}'s in the dozen or so German
books I've just checked look perfectly fine to me :-)

> And then you should not use any ligature. (Sorry if my original
> "should" implied otherwise.)

Oh, well, then it looks like we agree. I guess it's at least an
interesting observation that they've found a workaround in some locales.
Just as it will please typographers that ligatures are seemingly making
a comeback everywhere, now that we've left the typewriter age. (And that
ill-designed ligatures - possibly standing out more than their absence -
have biased and corrupted my perception of the subject matter.)

- S