Re: Subj: Reporting error in the code chart for South Asian Scripts (Bengali)

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 21:03:34 +0100

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 15:31:41 +0530 (IST)
delex r <delexr_at_indiatimes.com> wrote:

> I am a bit confused whether a computer or say a microprocessor
> actually needs to know the characters as "BENGALI LETTER ......" for
> reconstructing/reproducing/displaying .. on the screen from the
> Hexadecimal codes (binary bits) stored/transmitted in/through media.
> If not why the pdf documents may not be reviewed and re-written ?

Scripts written in perl may identify characters by their Unicode name
(see e.g. http://www.xav.com/perl/lib/Pod/perlre.html).

Code may reference characters by names automatically derived
from the Unicode standard - if Unicode names change the code will fail
to recompile if the names in the Unicode standard change. Unicode
stability guarantees have assured the code writers that they do not
need to worry about this possibility.

Richard.