Re: Subj: Reporting error in the code chart for South Asian Scripts (Bengali)

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 12:12:16 +0200

Couldn't we find an end to this issue? The Unicode standard proposes
something else: the standardization of property value aliases. Why not
admitting a standard alias for the Bengali script, for block names,
for character names ? This implies no renaming at all, just the
acceptation of additional equivalent values. Existing implementations
won't be affected it they still don't recognize the new standard
aliases.

An alias can also be added to the ISO 15924 standard as well. This is
already effective for a number of scripts, such as Tifinagh/Berber,
Ethiopic/Geʻez; but the current format of the ISO 15924 does not
clearly establish a clear pattern for those aliases to make them
distinct from the precision of variants; sometimes it uses the comma
separator, sometimes parentheses... this is inconsistant and I think
that it would be better to have separate entries for these aliases
(just like in the ISO 639 standard for language names which also
defines many aliased codes, but is still inconsistant about names
too... Same remark about codes and names in ISO 3166, though aliased
codes are given distinct types depending on usage).

-- Philippe.