Re: [indic] Re: Lack of Complex script rendering support on Android

From: Ed Trager <ed.trager_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 11:11:19 -0500

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 November 2011 15:33, Mahesh T. Pai <paivakil_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> You can update the firmware yourselves - go the custom ROM
>> way. (errr... I am afraid the carriers' representatives may do
>> something to me for advising this). :-D
>>
>> You can continue to be with the existing carrier.
>>
>> Look around. If all else fails, ask google - the search engine; not
>> the customer support. (what a paradox). There are ways to root and
>> de-root the phone for warranty purposes.
>
> We can probably all do things to get our own phones to work - but what
> is needed is that if *any* person buys *any* Android phone in India it
> "just works" with Indic scripts (even if the UI is not localized into
> all regional languages)

Not just if you buy a phone in India. In this modern world, there are plenty of
students and immigrants all over the world who might enjoy communicating with
their friends and families in their native languages.

So I would say, if anyone buys *any* Android phone *anywhere* in the world,
it should just automatically support complex text rendering for all
Indic and Indic-derived
scripts ...

> I don't think it is an unreasonable expectation for consumers in these
> countries   when they shell out a lot of money for the latest phone to
> be able to send and receive messages in their script. .
>
> Another problem is that reviews of phones, even those published or
> broadcast in India, rarely mention whether the phone supports Indic
> scripts - so it is difficult for a consumer to take this into account
> when deciding which phone to buy. A lot of consumers just expect it to
> be there, since even much cheaper phones have offered this for years,.

I wonder if perhaps India needs to legislate script support on computing devices
and cell phones?