Re: combining: half, double, triple et cetera ad infinitum

From: Karl Pentzlin <karl-pentzlin_at_acssoft.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:56:05 +0100

Am Montag, 14. November 2011 um 15:57 schrieb satai:

s> I do not see it in N4078, did I miss something? As I can see N4078
s> defines sequences (U+FE20,U+FE26,U+FE21), (U+FE27,U+FE2B,U+FE28),
s> (U+FE29,U+FE2B,U+FE2A). Is (U+FE22,U+FE26,U+FE23) implicitly
s> introduced? If yes, it is worth to explain U+FE26 usage directly.

Thank you for pointing on this. In fact, the material for WG2 N4078
did not contain a "tilde above" spanning over more than two
characters, thus, the according sequence was not mentioned explicitly.
In my eyes, the sequence "(U+FE22,U+FE26,U+FE23)" in fact is
implicitly introduced, as otherwise the whole mechanism would be not
systematic. But in the end, the text which will be included in the
Unicode standard will be decisive.

If anybody has a convincing example of a tilde spanning over more than
two characters, please tell, maybe then a revision of WG2 N4078 or a
supplemental document for it can be made, containing that sequence.

Also, for the due discussion of PDAM 1.2 in SC2/WG2 (see document
SC2 N4207 = WG2 N4164 http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n4164.pdf ),
note that the German comment T2 requests the addition of an annotation
to U+FE26:

>> "• Used with combining left and right half ligature
>> above to extend above more than two characters."

To support the tilde sequence, this annotation should be instead:
   "• Used with combining left and right half ligature
   and double tilde above to extend over more than two characters."

(Germany would not to object to such a change and would consider its
comment T2 accepted also with such a wording.)

- Karl