Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 18:29:40 -0600

Asmus Freytag wrote:

> The typographers may not like that they won't be given the time to
> allow them to organically grow a design, but fonts are appearing and
> are using dubious encodings - thus the need for Unicode to act quickly
> - and decisively.

This is perhaps one of the more annoying aspects of the recent "urgently
needed, drop everything" approach to encoding currency symbols.

A nation decides to create a new currency symbol, OK, fine. It starts
showing up in hand-lettered signs and ledgers, good enough. No crisis
yet. But as soon as someone cranks out a Latin-1 font with the new glyph
replacing a little-used, but real, character such as U+00A8 DIAERESIS,
and a keyboard layout that makes it easy for a user to type the new
font-hacked symbol, then it becomes "urgent" for Unicode to encode the
symbol and stop the spread of code-point abuse. I believe the Turks
learned well from the Indians on this one.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­