Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14_at_telia.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 11:54:05 +0200

Somebody wrote:
> For the ₤ we can define EXACTLY what it is: a scriptive capital Latin L with
> a double crossbar, in this very combination standing in for the term “Lira”
> (derived from Latin “libra”), meaning a monetary unit of that same name.

₤ (and £, which should have been the same character) is actually a
degenerate script lb (℔), so is #. (And "libra" = "pound", just
different languages.)

B.t.w., most fonts get the glyph for ℔ wrong, probably due to a mistake
in the example glyph in older Unicode charts (and a slightly misleading
name for that character). Please fix your fonts...

    /Kent K