Flag tags (was: Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign)

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst_at_it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 18:38:33 +0900

On 2012/05/29 17:43, Asmus Freytag wrote:
> On 5/27/2012 5:52 PM, Michael Everson wrote:
>> Get over it. Please just get over it. It doesn't matter. It's a blort.
>
> Time to agree with Michael.
>
> "Get over it," is good advice here.
>
> Sovereign countries are free to decree currency symbols, whatever their
> motivation or the putative artistic or typographic merits of the symbol
> in question. Not for Unicode to judge.

I'd have to agree here.

On a slightly (although maybe only slightly) related matter, what about
if Unicode didn't judge how difficult it should be to display national
flags. Creating a way to display flags from two-tag combinations and
then later realizing that a sequence of such tags didn't locally parse,
and the whole thing has to be redone, doesn't seem like a very good
alternative to just encoding these things (not that I think that just
encoding these is a very good alternative either, though).

Regards, Martin.