Re: Character name translations

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua_at_xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 16:26:24 +0100

Andreas Prilop, Thu, 20 Dec 2012 15:41:28 +0100 (CET):
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>> http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/filt/info/mes2/
>
> Unicode names have certain restrictions (capital ASCII letters, etc).
> This Finnish list even uses non-ASCII characters but sticks to
> capital letters. Why no small letters if non-ASCII letters are allowed?
>
> Which characters could be used for a Russian translation?
> Cyrillic letters?
> Only capital letters? If so — why?

My impression is that Unicode character names are limited to - in order
of priority:

 1. language (en-US)
 2. character set (US-ASCII)
 3. uppercase

What is the basis for the choice of uppercase? The probable answer
might be that it "sticks out". It makes the name appear as code rather
than ordinary words (which could thus lead to mistakes: Is it a word or
a code?

The same way of thinking *plus* a desire to "look like Unicode", could
justify why translations in to e.g. Finnish and Russian would apply the
same rules.

--
leif h silli