Re: Case for letters j and J with acute

From: Ken Whistler <kenwhistler_at_att.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 13:36:10 -0800

On 2/9/2016 1:23 PM, David Faulks wrote:
> Perhaps Unicode could create a ‘default position’ property for combining characters, and encourage OpenType and other font engines to adopt it for automatic use when no other font information is provided. Adoption would take a while, but I cannot help but think that otherwise, this issue will never go away.

It does. General_Category=Mn and ccc=230 indicates that a character is
a non-spacing mark positioned *above* its base.

Attempting to get more precise that that with a *character* property would
be a mistake. Such interaction in detail between a mark and its base is
an attribute of glyphs and their design, and properly belongs to the realm
of rendering and fonts.

--Ken