Inuktitut / Cree

From: Joan Aliprand (BR.JMA@RLG.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 30 1996 - 19:47:15 EST

REPLY TO 01/30/96 16:12 FROM PAF@BUNYIP.COM "Patrik Faltstrom": Inuktitut /
Cree

Patrik Faltstrom (paf@bunyip.com) asks:

> Does anyone know if the characters in the Cree (a superset of Inuktitut)
> script is included in UNICODE 1.1 (we have not been able to find it...)
> or if there is plans to include it later, or if we should use some
> private space for them.

Unique characters for Cree/Inuktitut are not yet encoded in the Unicode
Standard.

The Unicode Technical Committee is very much aware of the work of Canadian
Aboriginal Syllabics Encoding Committee on a syllabary for the Algonquian
(including Cree), Athapascan, and Inuktitut language groups. The Chair of
CASEC, Dirk Vermeulen, gave a presentation on the work of CASEC to the UTC
in 1994.

The UTC welcomes proposals for additional scripts. Instructions on how to
submit a proposal are in Appendix D of Volume 1 of "The Unicode Standard,
Version 1.0".

-- Joan Aliprand
   Chair, Unicode Technical Committee

To: PAF@BUNYIP.COM