Re: Inuktitut / Cree

From: Michael Everson (everson@internet-eireann.ie)
Date: Wed Jan 31 1996 - 04:40:29 EST

>Patrik Faltstrom (paf@bunyip.com) asks:
>
>> Does anyone know if the characters in the Cree (a superset of Inuktitut)
>> script is included in UNICODE 1.1 (we have not been able to find it...)
>> or if there is plans to include it later, or if we should use some
>> private space for them.

Patrik,

On the ISO 10646 front, Canada, Ireland, and the UK, the three countries
which have taken an active interest in Canadian Syllabics, are attempting
to tie up the few loose ends regarding the Unified Syllabic encoding. In
general there is agreement on the repertoire -- only a few questions
regarding the names of the characters and the status of final consonants
really remain to be agreed. (The ISO committee, ISE/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2, is
hoping for consensus from CA, IE, and GB of course). The Unified Encoding
itself is a superset of Inuktitut, Cree, and Athapascan syllabic scripts.
SC2/WG2 works closely with the Unicode Consortium (and vice-versa) on
developing and maintaining the standard.

On the Macintosh front, you might be interested to learn that a
localization of the Mac OS into Inuktitut is proceeding, under the auspices
of the Baffin Bay Divisional Board of Education, with technical assistance
from Everson Gunn Teoranta. The 8-bit code table used in this localization
is called InuitSCII, devised by Doug Hitch. You're welcome to write to me
for more information on that.

All the best,

Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta
15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)
Gutháin: +353 1 478-2597, +353 1 283-9396
http://www.internet-eireann.ie/egt