Re: Dates in Thai encoding standards

From: Ibrahim Meru/Toronto/IBM (meru@VNET.IBM.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 04 1996 - 10:03:39 EST

Thank you, John, for pointing out that the Thai standards numbers relates to
the year numbering system in Thailand.

For information, let me add the following:

Thailand uses the Buddhist Era calendar which is based on the recognized
birthdate of the Buddha. Thailand's calendar counts its years from 1 January
543 BC, so 2529 = 1986 and 2533 = 1990 (unless I royally mucked up in my math!).

....Ibrahim Meru.
National Language Technical Centre,
IBM Canada Laboratory,
Toronto, Canada.