Re: Yet another Unihan Q (was Re: Comments on <draft...)

From: Kai-hsu Tai (kaihsu@ugcs.caltech.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 23:26:37 EDT

> Are you referring to 新字体 (Shinjitai) {new character shapes--
> character shapes changed in Japan sometime around 1945 due to national
> language reforms} 旧字体 (Kyuujitai) {old character shapes-- what the
> "new" characters were before they were changed} 簡体字 (Kanjitai)
> {simplified character shapes-- usually refers to PRC China language
> reformed characters} and 繁字体 (Hanjitai) {"luxurious"/complicated
> character shapes-- usually refers to the "unsimplified shapes"-- often
> with Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea, etc. in mind}

The different characters for the Hanjitai/Kanjitai distinction (or in
Mandarin, Fantizi/Jiantizi) are encoded at different codepoints in
Unicode.

> > E.g., the official "Taiwanese" glyph for U+8349 ("grass") per ISO/IEC
> > 10646 uses four strokes for the "grass" radical, whereas the PRC,
> > Japanese, and Korean glyphs use three. As it happens, Apple's LiSung
> > Light font for Big Five (which follows the "Taiwanese" typographic
> > tradition) uses three strokes.

They are not different characters! The distinction between the 3-stroke
and the 4-stroke variants are pretty much like the two kinds of LATIN
SMALL LETTER G's in Times New Roman and Helvetica, one somewhat looking
like "8", the other somewhat like "9".

> Not so easily confirmed (;_;)-- took me a while to get the CGI program
> to deliver. Unicode's server seems popular/busy. Also, if ISO/IEC 10646
> uses four strokes, why does the Unicode version use three (according to
> the CGI script)? I was under the impression that they should be the
> same.

Well, this is like asking why ISO uses Helvetica to print their standards
while Unicode Consortium prints with Times New Roman.

This is seemingly a non-issue.

--
Kai-hsu Tai
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/‾kaihsu/