Re: Comments on <draft-ietf-acap-mlsf-00.txt>?

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 10:56:24 EDT

> P.S. What happened to the "unicode plain-text file" thread? Seems it
> died very suddenly (with no closure)! Maybe it was displaced by this
> new thread :-).

It seems as if this is trying to become a plain-text issue. I hope not.
Plain text is supposed to be a simple sequence of *characters* and minimal
formatting information (hard spaces, line breaks, page breaks, and in the
case of Unicode, directionality indicators), irrespective of language,
containing no mysterious metacodes. (Let's agree that hard line and page
breaks are not mysterious metacodes.)

In view of the temperature surrounding the language-tagging issue, the
solution is not going to be simple or stable or soon to come, and therefore
I believe it falls outside the scope of plain text, which by definition
should be simple and stable and long-lasting. Language tags will be
constantly changing and surrounded by politics and emotion.

- Frank