Re: Usage of CP1252 characters on www.msnbc.com

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 12:33:30 EDT

Unicode Discussion wrote:

> Chris Pratley wrote:
>
> > At the start of the Internet phenomenon, NCRs were not defined to be
>
> > Unicode (in fact to my knowledge, this is STILL not a standard
> > officially, which is why it is an RFC).
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "this is STILL not a standard
> officially, which
> is why it is an RFC". RFC 1866, "Hypertext Markup Language - 2.0", is
> "Standards Track" RFC:

While "RFC" stands for "Request For Comments", there are several
"maturity levels" or "states of standardization" (see
ftp://ds.internic.net/std/std1.txt):

standard
draft standard
proposed standard
experimental
informational
historic

A spec that is on the "standards track" starts at proposed, moves to
draft, and finally to standard (if all goes well). When it has reached
the standard status, it is also given an STD number (in addition to an
RFC number). See ftp://ds.internic.net/std/. The above-mentioned
std1.txt also shows HTML 2.0's status (proposed standard).

Erik