Re: Latin00 (was Re: MES as an ISO standard?)

From: Alain LaBont/e'/ SCT (alb@riq.qc.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 23:33:41 EDT

Here is another very interesting note, in the same vein as those seen on
unicode@unicode.org, from Canada this time, that proves that we have to
choose somewhere and that the whole world can't be satisfied in the
correction of Latin 1 (again, Latin 1 won't vanish anyway and hopefully
UNICODE will satisfy everybody -- the new 8-bit table is just the missing
link between private codes in the 8-bit world, and UNICODE, for the EURO
SIGN and to fully support French and Finnish in the ISO/IEC 8859 series).

See also, annexed, the replacements made in the final proposal to be
balloted...

Apparently some Canadians would not have appreciated that we throw away the
CENT SIGN in a table supporting French integrally. It is of course my duty
to take this into account. So far, the CENT SIGN is intact because Ireland
said it should be preserved and also because replacing it by the EURO SIGN
would possibly have caused a great confusion as it represents something
related to currency, so context would have been quite misleading (similar
to the ancient POUND-DOLLAR communication problem between national versions
of ISO 646 [7 bit ASCII ISO standard] in Britain and the USA).

Alain LaBonté
Iraklion
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Annex 1 of 2.

>Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 09:13:07 -0400
>From: Daniel Amyot <damyot@csi.UOttawa.CA>
>To: Alain LaBonté SCT <alb@riq.qc.ca>
>Subject: Re: Latin00 (was Re: MES as an ISO standard?)
>
>Bonjour Alain,
>
>Alain LaBonté SCT wrote:
>> [Chris] :
>> >the oe ligature (or character, depending on who you ask and what
country they
>> >are from) is also required for full support of British English.
>> >Compare American English "fetus" and British English "f&oelig;tus"

[Daniel] :
>Les Anglais ont tellement de mots empruntés aux Français que cette
>situation ne me surprend guère. Nous aurions même dû y penser
>auparavant!
>
>> [Alain] :
>> It will likely be revised to change the EURO symbol position to replace the
>> PLUS OR MINUS sign rather than the sputnik-like currency symbol used in
>> some applications as a FIELD SEPARATOR and by some other applications for
>> SUBTOTAL accounting function. The CENT sign is likely to remain intact to
>> avoid confusion.

[Daniel] :
>Après en avoir discuté avec quelques collègues de l'université d'Ottawa,
>je suis heureux de voir que le CENT pourrait être conservé. Un copain
>trouvait même étonnant que la proposition de son retrait (par rapport à
>Latin-1) originait du Canada, pays où le CENT [cenne? (:] est encore
>utilisé. Si possible, nous suggérons nous aussi de le conserver.
>
>Heureux de voir que le tout progresse bien. Bravo!
>

>Daniel.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Annex 2 of 2.
Extract of the latest proposal for "Latin 0":
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
In order to maintain maximum compatibility with the existing world, a
maximum number of Latin 1 characters should be used as the model for this
new table (the most used table to currently support French partly and
Finnish partly). The following characters have been identified as having no
or very little use in ISO/IEC 8859-1:

10/06 BROKEN BAR
10/08 DIAERESIS (standalone, spacing character)
11/01 PLUS-MINUS SIGN (SIGNE PLUS-OU-MOINS)
11/04 ACUTE ACCENT (standalone, spacing character)
11/08 CEDILLA (standalone, spacing character)
11/12 VULGAR FRACTION ONE QUARTER
11/13 VULGAR FRACTION ONE HALF
11/14 VULGAR FRACTION THREE QUARTERS

These characters should be replaced, in order, by

10/06 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CARON (LETTRE MAJUSCULE LATINE S CARON)
10/08 LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH CARON (LETTRE MINUSCULE LATINE S CARON)
11/01 EURO SIGN (SYMBOLE EURO)
11/04 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH CARON (LETTRE MAJUSCULE LATINE Z CARON)
11/08 LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CARON (LETTRE MINUSCULE LATINE Z CARON)
11/12 LATIN CAPITAL LIGATURE OE (DIGRAMME SOUDÉ MAJUSCULE LATIN OE)
11/13 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE OE (DIGRAMME SOUDÉ MINUSCULE LATIN OE)
11/14 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH DIAERESIS (LETTRE MAJUSCULE LATINE Y
                                                                 TRÉMA)

This proposal has been limited by proposers to French and Finnish and to
the EURO as these represent current critical problems which are known in
Latin 1, in order to not create any controversy with competition among
languages which are covered elsewhere.